Monday, January 23, 2012

You Can Check Out Any Time You'd Like...But You Can Never Leave


Okay, so maybe The Eagles aren't a super-cool band to be into, but they were my favorite group around years 11-13 (which was a big step up from my pop-R&B phase of years 9-10...yikes). My Dad and I bonded over the likes of Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, and Don Henley during my formative years, and I've had a special place in my heart for them ever since.

Eagles Tee - Chaser, Faux Leather Shorts  & Snakeskin Boots - H&M,
Eagle Totem Pendant Necklace - Thrifted, Marion Bag - Alexander Wang
But the song "Hotel California" has particular meaning to me due to the fact that it was the first song I heard as a kid where I really listened to the lyrics and followed the storyline in my head. It was a dark night in rural Maine, the power had gone out, and the fam was circled around our (really, really old and tinny) radio as we ate dinner by flashlight. "Hotel California" came on, and my Dad recited the lyrics as the song played in a spooky voice, as if he was telling us a ghost story. It was pretty scary, and I'm pretty sure it gave me nightmares BUT, to this day whenever I hear the song I'm taken back to that night and the visions of a dark desert highway dance through my head.

Plus, come ON - the guitars at the end? Shut up, it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, stranger.