Monday, July 25, 2011

Gone Apple Pickin'


I look forward to Sundays all week, every week. Right now mostly because True Blood is back on...

But aside from that, it's the one day I usually have no commitments and nothing but free time. So of course my favorite thing to do is walk around town, headphones on, scouring secondhand stores for goodies. Because I'm so often asked about my thrifting adventures, I will share with you a few of my weekly rituals, just promise to use them to add only vital pieces to your wardrobe and not Ed Hardy crap. Seriously that shit is everywhere. Everyone collectively decided to sell/donate it at once. Wtf.

1. Have some good tunes at the ready. After all, most places will be playing Top 40's...from 1973. And although I do love the song "Bennie and the Jets," those musical morsels are hard to come by in your average secondhand shops.

2. Pick a day that isn't going to be crazy crowded. The number one type of person on my shitlist is the one who crowds me while I'm shopping. And they usually smell like urine or McDonald's. Or some kind of rancid combo. For realsies, step off.

3. Be patient and have a game plan. You're way less likely to find buried treasure if you aimlessly browse around. Pick a section and scour. I usually look at actual clothing first, then housewares, then shoes and bags, then jewelry. That way you can hit up the fitting rooms (if there are any) before you gather up anything that you can't bring in.

Which brings me to my next little tidbit...dress the part. A lot of times there aren't any fitting rooms, so wear things you can slip clothes over or slip off easily. Be comfy, but dress cute, perhaps in past thrifting finds. Call it "wishful dressing" or something. It can help inspire ideas.


(Lace-trim Tee - thrifted, High-waisted Shorts - American Apparel, Braided Belt and Platform Sandals - H&M, Black Patent Bag - recent thrifting treasure)

The tee and shorts are easy to slip on and off or throw something over. The bag is my "inspirational piece" because I loooooove it and found it for $4 in a thrift store. 


The sandals are comfy and slip-off-able, but can be easily paired with outfits, giving me some ideas in the fitting room.


And over-accessorizing my arms is just what I'm all about these days. Weigh them doooown.

Now, get thee to a Salvation Army!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, stranger.